Our Lake Superior Vacation World
....and a little closer view of the roads leading to Thunder Bay
About Thunder Bay, Ontario
Thunder Bay is strategically located near the geographical centre of Canada, on the shore of Lake Superior - the western terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway System. Thunder Bay is a regional centre and the "Gateway to the Great Northwest" of Ontario, a geographic area nearly the size of Europe.
Thunder Bay is the 10th largest city in Ontario and the largest metropolitan centre in Northwestern Ontario. The population of Metro Thunder Bay is approximately 115,000 and is made up of a diverse multi-cultural base. It is the largest city on Lake Superior, either on the Canadian or the American side.
Air Transportation Services
Thunder Bay's International Airport serves over 500,000 passengers and 50,000 flights annually. Thunder Bay is host to several airlines:
- Air Canada - several daily non-stop flights to and from Toronto (Pearson) plus a similar number of flights to Dryden, Winnipeg and points west.
- Westjet Airlines - flights to and from Toronto & Winnipeg plus points east and west.
- Porter Airlines - Porter Airlines flies right to the 'Bay' from the heart of downtown Toronto.
- Bearskin Airlines provides scheduled and charter service into Northern Ontario.
- Wasaya Airlines - Passenger and cargo specialists serving Northern Ontario communities
- Thunder Bay Transit (684-3744), Manager (684-2188)
- Private sector taxi (Diamond 344-9666, Roach's 344-8481)
- Limo services - Prestige Limo (346-8989) and Dr. Dance DJ & Limo (683-1361)
- Airport shuttle service by major hotels/motels
Ground Transportation Services
- the east and west on the Trans Canada Highway (Hwy. 11-17)
- the U.S, in the south, by Hwy. 61 from Duluth and Minneapolis.
Regular bus service to and from the city is provided by:
- Greyhound Lines of Canada - daily to the east and west (345-2194)
- North Country Bus Lines - north to Sioux Lookout (345-2194)
Within the city, Thunder Bay Transit (684-3744) runs scheduled transit routes while a number of private companies offer charter and tour services within the city and region.
- Lake Superior Visits (344-9208)
- Greyhound/Grey Goose (807-345-2194)
- Happy Time Tours (473-5955)
- Norcan Travel & Tours (344-8804)
- Iron Range Bus Lines (345-7387)
- Thrifty (807-345-7111)
- Budget (807-473-5040 (airport) or 807-622-3366)
- Avis (807-473-8572 (airport) or 807-577-2847)
- Dollar (807-345-7940)
- Enterprise (87-736-8222)
- National (807-577-1234)
- Hertz (807-475-3334)
The number of hotel, motor hotel and motel rooms within the city total over 1,500.
- Valhalla Inn 1-800-964-1121 or 577-1121 www.valhallainn.com
- Victoria Inn (807)577-8481 www.victoriainnthunderbay.ca
- B/W Nor'Wester Resort Hotel - 1-888-473-2378 or 473-9123 www.bestwestern.com
- B/W Crossroads Motor Inn - 807-577-4241 www.bestwestern.com
- Prince Arthur Waterfront Hotel & Suites- 1-800-267-2675 or 345-5411 www.princearthur.on.ca
- Travelodge Airlane (Arthur St) - 1-800-465-5003 or 473-1600 www.travelodge-airlane.com
- Days Inn - 1-800-DAYSINN or (807)622-3297 www.daysinn.com
In addition to the traditional lodgings, local and regional Bed and Breakfast establishments offer guest accommodation and Lake Superior cottage stays can be arranged through Lake Superior Visits.
Links to other tourism business websites and more information can be found at: